
The short story "How to Become a Writer" by Lorrie Moore is a satire on the long process of becoming a writer, and how this path can often take many twists and turns. She chronicles her early experiences of disappointment and rejection, all with a bit of humor and a lot of sarcasm. One thing that was unusual was that this was not her childhood dream, but it was her past experiences that led her to feel as she had something to record.
The reason I found this story particularly interesting is because I often dreamed of becoming a writer, but have faced the same restrictions that she has. Like her, I know that writing is not a sinecure, but both of us are willing to work through it. When she was reading her story aloud and receiving negative criticism, I felt sympathy for her because I know it can be hard to hear. It was also difficult for her to hear her mother's response to a piece of her writing, even though she played off both experiences as humorous.
The author believes that writing is supposed to be a struggle; it's supposed to be painful and difficult. If writing was easy, then everybody would do it. Instead of lamenting and regretting the long process, she is able to look back on her life and feel proud of what she's gone through. Most writers do not immediately recieve hoards of positive feedback, and the author's short story shows people not to expect this. A final piece of writing is not just thrown together out of pure luck; it is delicately crafted in order to acheive the greatest possible results. The author learned this the hard way, but her experiences helps other aspiring writers.
2 comments:
Could it be any more obvious that 'sinecure' is the vocab word? :P
Nahh that's a word I use in every day speech idk what you're talking about lol.
Post a Comment